Friday, March 28, 2008

Baking your own potato chips...

For tonight's dinner, Jeff actually decided he would like me to make those Mini Honey-Mustard Meatloaves with Roasted Fingerling Potatoes for his mom.

So, we didn't make a new recipe today - but, I do have new another recipe to talk about! Remember how I went and sliced up my finger while trying to sharpen the blade from are mandoline? Well, the whole reason I was doing that in the first place was I needed to thinly slice some potatoes for these homemade Potato Chips with Blue Cheese Dip that we had as a snack earlier in the week. Our food processor slicing blade would have made the slices too thick and I didn't want to take the time to try and get perfectly even slices with a knife either... oh well, my finger is recovering well enough (stitches out on Monday!) and I know what not to do next time!

It was funny though, Jeff really didn't want me to make this recipe after I sliced my finger - he aptly renamed our mandoline as "The Slicer of Doom". He couldn't make himself watch either while I was preparing the potatoes since he had enough trouble watching them put the stitches in!

Before I started on the potatoes, we slipped one of our large and heavy baking sheets into the oven to get a head start on heating up. Once the starchy potatoes were sliced up, we patted them dry in an effort to remove as much moisture as possible. Since one pound worth of potatoes made for quite a few thin slices, they need to be baked in batches - we did it twice, but you made need a third time if your sheet isn't large enough. As soon as the potato slices were arranged on the hot baking sheet (love hearing that sizzle!), they were sprinkled with coarse salt (use as much or as little as you like - potatoes soak up salt like crazy) and the pan was placed back in the oven. For even color, the slices will need to be turned over after about 10 minutes or so - when you do this, you can season the other side again with salt if you like your chips particularly salty.

Once baked, the finished chips were golden and had a nice even crunch throughout. While we did snack on a few by themselves, the chunky blue cheese dip really made these shine. Tangy sour cream, crumbled blue cheese, silky mayonnaise and a couple tablespoons of milk band together forming the luscious dip. You could get around 6 servings if you really portioned it out well, but it was more like 3 for us. If you do have any leftover, store the chips at room temperature and toss them in the oven at 450 for just a couple minutes to bring that crunch back.


13 comments:

  1. Blue Cheese Dip? Sounds great to me! Glad your fingers were safe with this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you share your recipe for the mini-meatloaves? They look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a mandoline and I've only used it once. I'm scared of it -- and now you've reinforced that feelign! Hope your finger continues to heal quickly. The baked chips look yummy though -- maybe good enough to brave the mandoline!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again, another yummy sounding recipe.I just printed it out to try when hubby gets home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori - We were quite smitten with that dip!

    TNelson - It should be linked in the main post!

    Tracy - luckily it only happened because I was sharpening the blade and not when I was using it!

    Anon - Hope you like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to see that this recipe got rave reviews from you! I had my eye on it the minute I saw it in CL this month. I can't wait to try it...yummy! Hope your finger heals quickly =)
    -Rebelyell18

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tend to make thick thick oven baked "chips"--thick enough so the flesh is soft. They'd go great with blue cheese dip...

    j

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds so good! That recipe might just be the perfect excuse for me to get that mandoline I want so bad! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm back from a 2 weeks holiday in California. You have lot's of new recipes that looks really good. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Be careful with that mandoline! I just did a great job of 'julienning' my pinkie while trying to make egg rolls. Not sure if the thing will ever be used again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rebel - Let me know if you try it!

    Jasmine - I do those kind too every so often... I liked the crispness of these though!

    Lyb - Just be careful with that sharp blade!

    Helene - Welcome back!

    Erika - I hope your finger is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i bet these would be tasty with some buffalo sauce on the chips before baking!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Barbie - Woo! Buffalo sauce sounds great!

    ReplyDelete