Saturday, August 09, 2008

Smacking down a craving...

I was in the mood for decadence today... I thought of different cakes, cookies or other assorted goodies we could make, but I kept coming back to one thing - brownies!

I've said frequently that one of my favorite combinations in sweets is chocolate and peanut butter - that is exactly what I found in these insane Peanut Butter and Fudge Brownies with Salted Peanuts.

The base of these bars is a devilish layer a decidedly fudgy chocolate brownie, generously studded with coarse pieces of salted peanuts. To really electrify the chocolate flavor, we used a mixture of bittersweet chocolate and unsweetened chocolate that we backed up with a dose of instant espresso powder. The powder doesn't make them taste like coffee, but it seems to excite the chocolate, allowing its flavor to blossom and grow. When you test for doneness, you are looking for no raw liquid batter, but you don't want the toothpick to come out clean - moist crumbs attached is what you want.

While these dark brownies cooled, we prepared a peanutty frosting by combining chunky peanut butter with a few tablespoons of softened butter, confectioners' sugar, a dash of salt and a sprinkle of fresh grated nutmeg. It is somewhat thick at this point, so a bit of milk is added, along with vanilla, to slightly thin it out, allowing it to spread well. These peanut butter frosted brownies were approaching decadence, but ached for another layer. So, to add that killer final touch, we melted bittersweet chocolate with butter and poured it over, creating a thin slick of richness on top. While it is liquid-y enough to pour over, the intense mixture does have some body to it, allowing you to make a design on top. I used an off-set spatula to spread it smooth, then swirled it back and forth to create those ripples you see.

Because of the toppings and fudgy quality of the brownie, you'll want to allow enough time for the bars to chill before cutting them. However, I found that we both liked the flavor best when they had come back to room temperature versus eating a piece right out of the chilly refrigerator. If you have a burning desire for a potent chocolate and peanut butter treat like I did, these wicked layered brownies satiated my fierce sweet tooth, at least for a little while!

*Looks over at the clock* I think it's treat time again - care to join me in this indulgence?

17 comments:

  1. I defenetly want to join you on that indulgence! That has to be a yummy treat Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. Goodness. Pure decadence on a plate, that is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Cow! Those look darn good, as well as beautiful! They look great to me as well as a yummy treat to give away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! These look like some true chocolate sinfulness. Sounds great to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LB - Grab a plate!

    CC - I'm going to have to get these in the freezer soon I think... they are way too tempting!

    Gigi - Thanks!

    Katrina - It may be hard to part with these once you've given them a taste!

    Pamela - Sinful is a good term for these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow these look truly indulgant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have made those! Aren't they fantastic?! And I can never make them again because they're soooooo decadent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're halfway through a batch of brownies I made the other day. Darn! Wish I'd waited for your post so I could make these. It'll have to be next time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joe,

    Do you think you could leave out the peanuts and these would still be good?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is exactly what I like to make for a treat after school. I'm keeping this one for September. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG, the best looking brownie EVER! I want to make those this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As always, the pictures are stunning. Food stylist! Just saying.......

    ReplyDelete
  13. Katie - And so worth it!

    Lauren - Hmm... I'm already planning on making these again soon!

    H&E - They should freeze well, so maybe make a batch once you finish your current one?

    Terri - Possibly, but that would take out a lot out of the salted peanut part! ;-)

    Helene - Lucky kids!

    The Mcree's - Please do!

    Quinn - You are too kind, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, my word...those look ridiculously good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Joe- these look fantastic! I was wondering if I could substitute semi-sweet chocolate for the bittersweet since its all I have on hand and just reduce the amount of sugar? What do you think- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. MC - Thanks!

    Julia - You probably could, but I wouldn't mess around too much with the sugar.

    ReplyDelete