Saturday, October 14, 2006

Cookies to welcome the new neighbors

The house next door to us was on the market when we bought this one and it finally sold a few weeks ago. The new neighbors moved in, so I thought we could make something nice to bring over as a proper welcome.

I ended up making Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies as they sounded like they would be a little different than your everyday gingerbread. I thought what really set these apart is the addition of fresh grated ginger root as you begin creaming the ingredients. Dark brown sugar and molasses are the sweeteners, so they have quite a deep and rich flavor background. The chocolate comes into play in the form of a single tablespoon of cocoa with about a cup of chunky bits of bittersweet chocolate. The dough is a little fussy as you need to chill it twice - I found it to still be little sticky, even with the 2+ hour refrigeration. When you roll the dough into balls, you can either lightly flour your hands or use wet hands - I choose the former as it was easier for me. Once the balls of dough are chilled, I rolled just the tops in very coarse crystal sugar for a touch of sparkle to finish. These baked up into beautiful, thick and crackly-topped cookies with a definite chew to them. The bitter chocolate and fresh ginger make for a great pair in these spicy cookies.


10 comments:

  1. Can I move in next door?

    Mim, having a hard time downloading your comments section today....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mimi - Sure! Although, the neighbors might want to have a say in the matter. I think blogger was having issues earlier - it seems to be ok now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I wish I lived next door to you...LOL! Those cookies sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, these look goood
    agree with mimi - wish I moved in next door...
    yum! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish that would have moved in next door, too. These might have to go on my Christmas cookie list. I like the idea of the chocolate and ginger together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let us know what the neighbors thought! I bet they loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joe. Those cookies are on my list too - we must have been looking at the same ginger cookie thread on the CLBB. :) Thanks for the tip on the stickiness - I will be prepared.

    Now I have to decide what to bake this week - in addition to these cookies, I want to try some gingerbread muffins and chocolate pumpkin cheesecake bars.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brenda - Thanks!

    Julia - Thank you!

    Linda - I really like the combo, different, yet pretty tasty.

    Cyndi - Will do!

    Alysha - I actually got them from her website... I'll have to check out the thread! (I see I replied to it last year, but I never did make the other ones that were posted!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi everyone, I'm Joe's neighbor and the cookies were fabulous!!! The whole family enjoyed them, even the picky kids. We have some neighbors! Thanks, Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Neighbor! Glad you guys liked the cookies! We will have to be sure to send something else over to test!

    ReplyDelete