Thursday, October 12, 2006

Here's the "scoop" on one-bite tacos....

While we do quite enjoy having leftovers, especially when one is without a kitchen, I needed a break from them and had to make something different. I didn't have a recipe in mind for tonight, so I just looked in the pantry/freezer to check out what we had already on hand.

I'm sure you have seen the tortilla chips from Tostitos called "Scoops" right? They are basically tortilla chips in the shape of little bowls. They have finally come out with a baked version that we snapped up at the grocery store this past weekend. So, in an effort to try them out, I put together some fun little taco bowls. No recipe really, but I started out with some fresh garlic in a little olive oil and then added some ground sirlion. I seasoned the beef with chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper and a couple splashes of Frank's red hot - I didn't measure much, but tasted as I went. Once the sirlion was browned, we filled the little cups with shredded romaine, the seasoned beef and shredded sharp cheddar.

I did add a few bits of diced roasted red bell peppers to about half for color since as I was out of our favorite salsa, but I imagine a bit of that and some sour cream would make these groovy one bite tacos even better!


Here's a sneak peak at a gingery pumpkin muffin I made the other day in our handy toaster oven - I'll talk about these treats tomorrow!

6 comments:

  1. thanks for the welcome... I had to find another way to express my love the culinary world! I loved your post about why you are writing this blog - very genuine.

    i'm looking foward to going back and reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are wonderful, Joe!

    I haven't had tacos in so long ... thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those mini tacos are the cutest thing I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren - I hope you enjoy the site!

    Ivonne - Thanks! We have not had a taco in a long time as well. Nice change of pace.

    Mebeth - aww, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those Scoops. I use them when I make a special chili that's like a stew. What a great idea to make tacos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cyndi - I'm so glad they came out with a baked version! Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete