Saturday, October 28, 2006

I'll love you til the end of the vine...

Okay.. please forgive me, but we are not pumpkined out yet! Yes, another post involving a baked good with mashed pumpkin!

Today's recipe, Pumpkin-Date Loaf with Cream Cheese Swirl, has a sweet and moist orange tinted interior with a cheesecake-esque topping. While this recipe ends up using a few bowls, it was fairly quick to throw together and get in the oven. Dark brown sugar, along with the dates, bring a rich sweetness to the soft textured loaf. Next time I make this, I may reduce the sugar - I think it teeters a bit too heavy on the sweetness scale. 1/4 cup or so less would be a good reduction without affecting the quality of the bread. The pumpkin is mild, but the stronger spice combination perked up the flavors just enough. The white top is striking, but I think I would prefer to do the topping as a filling. The batter for the bread is quite thick and does not lend itself to swirling well.


5 comments:

  1. The slices look so pretty!
    I am also in a pumpkin mood lately, muffins and soup are among my favorites!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, just wanted to say how much i look forward to read ur blog everyday. ur posts are just so inspiring and interesting =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe,
    The title of this pumpkin loaf blog had me giggling. You are so funny!
    The recipe will be perfect for my inlaws this Thanksgiving thank you
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried a very similar recipe and you're right it works much better as a filling than a topping. And you get better results with muffins. Here is my recipe: http://www.cookingdebauchery.com/cooking_debauchery/2006/10/pumpkin_muffins.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ana - Thanks!

    Ren - Thank you!

    Caroline - Hee hee! Do let me know if you give it a try!

    Kitarra - Thanks for the link, i'll go check it out!

    ReplyDelete