Sunday, October 08, 2006

Still chuggin along...

Well, I can't say we made a ton of new stuff this week - but even with the kitchen being out of order, we did manage to try 6 new recipes. Our favorites were probably the Pumpkin Waffles and Three-Bean Chili with Vegetables. I wanted to make a pasta dish tomorrow night for dinner so while we were out running errands and picking up groceries this morning, I did pick up a single burner that we could plug into the wall. I have a feeling it probably won't work too well, but we will give it a shot. When we arrived back home, I wanted to make a quick snack before lunch... so with some of the leftover mashed pumpkin I made a Banana Pumpkin Smoothie.

Since I always keep a few frozen ripe bananas in the freezer, this was pretty quick to throw together. I used some of the mashed pumpkin I took out for the waffles yesterday and pureed it with vanilla yogurt, fresh orange juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, fresh grated nutmeg and cloves. Since the banana was frozen and the pumpkin was well chilled, the smoothie was pretty thick with the addition of ice cubes. When I took my first sip, I was surprised how tangy the orange juice made it - I thought it was teetering on the verge of taking over the smooth pumpkin flavor. I would probably half the amount of juice and replace it with soymilk next time.


8 comments:

  1. Ha, I love the candy pumpking in it...nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumpkin-banana smoothie? Sounds wonderful. I've been needing that sort of comfort food lately.

    I like your other entries, too. I'll be visiting a lot.

    Thanks for your comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the little pumpkin candy corn topper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm ... candy corn. Gotta get some of that. If it's shaped like a pumpkin, does it count as a vegetable?

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe, this look so creamy and delicious!! Yumm!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  6. this smoothie is something else! Need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peabody - we thought it might be a fun addition!

    Mimi - I hope you like the site!

    Barbara - hee hee, thanks!

    wheresmymind - Oh.. my too!

    CK1 - I think it does....!!

    Ana - It was quite good!

    Jann - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete