Monday, October 30, 2006

Warmed up with comfort foods...

With the clock rolling back yesterday, I was a little surprised to see just how early it gets dark outside again. It was nice not having to worry about changing the time when we lived in Arizona - now it seems to be very dark when it is only 5:30!

Since we are still trying to get used to the chilly temperatures, I'm trying to make sure we have a stomach warming soup at least once a week. Tonight's meal was one of comfort foods - Roasted Tomato Soup with Garlic and a side of grilled cheese! The soup could not have been more simple - since we are pretty much out of tomato season, we used canned fire roasted tomatoes. Fresh garlic goes for a dip in olive oil until you begin to smell its fragrant aroma. The tomatoes, along with vegetable broth and a dash of crushed red pepper, are stirred in and brought to a boil. This mixture slowly bubbles away until it's ready to be annihilated by an immersion blender. Once smooth (or to the consistency of your liking), the only thing that is needed is a scattering of chopped basil for a punch of freshness to compliment the roasted tomato flavor. I used The Griddler to quickly get the grilled cheese made and we were off ready to be warmed up with a toasty sandwich that was aching to be dipped into the warm satisfying soup. A note for when I make this again... a splash of good quality balsamic vinegar might be a fun way to add another dimension to the soup.


7 comments:

  1. Oh my....that's a seductive looking picture. I love tomato soup and grilled cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comfort food totally at it's best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that photo is making me drool! I'm sitting here in a cold house and now all I want is some of that soup and a grilled cheese! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara - Thanks!

    Wheresmymind - I agree!

    Nicole - I had the same thing as lunch the other day... great comfort lunch too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, that picture is just cruel. I think a food mag needs to pick you up and give you a great paying job! :) Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i borrowed your soup recipe and added my own touch of cream to it. along with grilled cheese sammies for dinner last night. it was terrific! thanks! i've never made soup before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie - I wish! Thanks!

    Barbie2be - Glad you liked the soup!

    ReplyDelete