Sunday, May 06, 2007

Could be a slow week... well at least in the kitchen!

We are certainly starting off May with a bang - 11 new recipes this week. Our favorites this time were the Cranberry-Nut Mini Loaves with Flaxseeds, Crispy Prosciutto, Scallion and Goat Cheese Frittata and the Peanut Butter Granola. I highly doubt we will make near that amount this upcoming week... something has thrown a wrench into my plans and I will not know if I will have the time to get much done.

I've been summoned for dun... dun... dun.... Jury Duty! I have no idea what to expect as I've never had to go before, but Jeff seems excited and wishes they chose him! I guess I have to check every day for a full week to see if I have to report (I've already been called for Monday!) - but if I get picked for a trial, then I've fulfilled my duty and excused the rest of the week. I'm hoping to still get baking done for the weekly Wednesday Treat Day, but we will just have to see!

I spent most of the afternoon getting the lawn mowed since I won't be able to do it tomorrow, so I was not looking to put much effort into dinner tonight. I chose this dish of Fettuccine with Creamy Red Pepper-Feta Sauce as there was minimal work and it came together in a flash. A savory full-bodied sauce is started by cooking onions and garlic until they have softened - then, a mountain of sweet roasted red peppers are added in. To create the smooth sauce, this mixture is then pureed with vegetable broth and a healthy dose of salty feta cheese. While you're waiting for the sauce to finish up, thick whole-wheat fettuccine is thrown into boiling water to cook until al dente. As the sauce is fairly thick, be sure to remove 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking water before you drain the pasta, this way you can thin out the sauce as needed without diluting the flavors. Finished with a bit more feta and fresh parsley, I especially appreciated how the tangy sauce in this dish clung to the noodles like there was no tomorrow! Jeff isn't especially fond of red peppers, but he made short work of his plate (and even snuck a couple bites from the leftovers for lunch tomorrow!) - we both agreed that this dish was delightful for how easy it was to prepare!


6 comments:

  1. Joe, jury duty is a pain, but no biggie, really. If you have to go in, take something to read to kill the time. They are expert at wasting yours, so make the most of it. Without fail, I get summoned every single year, and as a former court reporter, I always am excused. I guess I know too much of what's going on in the courtroom. Good luck this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you've never had it before! My first time (I've been called regularly--in MA, they can ask you every three years) I was put on a two-day trial. I actually have duty myself next month. yay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the jury duty. It's interesting, in a way, to see how things work, however, the sitting and waiting can drive some people nuts. I went in knowing I would have to sit and brought my checkbook to balance, a book and magazine to read.
    I didn't get picked for a jury and was actually kind of bummed.
    BTW, the recipe looks great and I'm adding to my recipe line-up for one day next week. (This weeks menu's are all planned)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was summond a couple of weeks ago. I did not get picked, but it wasn't surprising considering what the cases had to deal with (child abuse, and gangs).

    Luckily our county picks all jurries needed that week on Monday. So when you go home Monday you know if you need to come back. Luckily they can't call me again for a year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just say with wide-eyed innocence, "Well, they wouldn't have arrested him if he wasn't guilty, would they?" and they should let your right out of jury duty.

    Not that I would ever encourage anyone to shirk their civic duty - but after having been called twice in three months, I had to figure out something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. H&E - So true about the wasting of time, but it is certainly a new look on what happens in the court system!

    Jen - I just wish I was able to do something during the waiting time to be a little productive!

    Jennifer - I hope you like the pasta! I'll have to remember to bring much more things to do next time!

    Courtney - Oh I wish it was that easy here! We have to call back everyday...

    Alice H - LOL... I don't think I could ever say that, but it would be interesting to see their response!

    ReplyDelete