Saturday, May 26, 2007

No flour needed in these crunchy cookies...

You know by now that we are fans of the salty and sweet combination, especially in cookies. We have made some Sweet and Salty Peanut Chocolate Chunk Cookies and Salty Oat Cookies in the past and today's treat of Salted Cashew-Crunch Cookies is right up there as a new favorite.

You can probably guess where this recipe is from... yes, another one out of my new (or well-used by now) go-to King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking cookbook. What sets these cookies apart is the fact that there is no added flour in the recipe - the main dry ingredient is old-fashion rolled oats that have been ground in a food processor. The ingredients here are very basic - butter, sugar, an egg and a touch of vanilla as you want the prominent punch of flavor from the cashews to shine through. A few of the recipes in this book call for an overnight sit in the refrigerator, but it is not needed for this recipe and that is one of the reasons I choose to make it today. Once the dough is made and scooped out, we sprinkled the tops with extra-fine salt before we flattened them out - I used the Diamond Crystal brand for this.

With an almost crumbly crunch to them when you take a bite, the first hit you get on your tongue is a touch of salt, followed by the sweet buttery base holding the cookie together - then the richness of the cashews grabs a hold of your taste buds for a nutty finish. Though, now I have a problem... while I could make dinner as planned... I think I like Jeff's idea of just filling up a plate of these cookies and calling it done!


3 comments:

  1. Ooooohhh, these sound so good! I too like the salty-sweet combination and these cookies look like something I would like - as I really like cashews and absolute love oats! Yumm!
    Thanks Joe, I missed them on the book!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom's favorite nut is cashew. I think she'd like these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ana - Yeah, I flipped past these a couple of times before they popped out at me!

    Claire - Jeff loves cashews too, which is one reason I had to try this recipe out!

    ReplyDelete