Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Just when the weather is starting to warm up, we bring a little taste of fall...

I had to put off the weekly Wednesday Treat Day post until today as I didn't get it made until late yesterday and it had not sufficiently cooled enough to taste and then get the pictures done. While I did make a new recipe for dinner, I'm putting that off too because this superb Double Apple Bundt Cake deserves a post created just for it alone.

Taking a bite from this dark cake was like a rush of cool crisp air you expect to feel around apple season in the fall. It was remarkably moist, quite dense and lightly spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg with an alluring bite from ground ginger. The double apple in the recipe comes from the additions of shredded apples and a generous amount of apple butter. While packing an abundant punch of apple flavor, the apple butter also ensures that this cake stays very moist over time. After a bite or two, you begin to notice the complex nature of the cake from crunchy toasted pecans scattered throughout each slice.

For a hint of sweetness and contrast in texture, a handful of juicy golden raisins can also be found in the cake. If you would prefer the apples to disappear into the cake, you can finely grate them - but I wanted them to have more of a presence, so I just used my food processor to quickly shred them. I used Granny Smith apples for a slightly tart edge; however, I think this cake would be just as great with the apple of your choice. This will absolutely be made again, especially after we go for our first apple picking of the season later this year. We may even go crazy and make our own apple butter just for this cake!


7 comments:

  1. Hi Joe,
    I have to ask you about your bundt pan, the one you used to make the Double Apple Bundt Cake & the Peanut Butter and Chocolate Bundt Cake. It creates a stunning silhouette. I am guessing its Nordicware. Right, wrong? Please let me know where you bought it.

    The pans I own are supposed to be fluted bundt pans but that's an exaggeration. They barely transfer a flute onto the baked cake. The cake ends up looking more bumpy than fluted.
    I would really like to know where I can get your pan. I probably might be able to get it online, but I want to know if you bought it at a regular brick & mortar store.
    Let me know.
    Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one beautiful bundt cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joe, a question from across the pond. Whats apple butter? We don't have things like that here in the UK. You mention making it yourself, would you post the recipe for that please. Your cake looks and sounds delicious.
    Lou.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe, that's the kind of cake I'd love to have with some hot tea (it's cold here now). I love apples and what a delicious way to have them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joe - This bundt cake looks amazing. I love nutmeg and ginger with apples. They also work well with quince - luckily it is almost quince season in New Zealand. Like you, I like to use Granny Smith apples in cakes for their tartness. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love apple cakes, they are just so warm, comforting and good. The pecans sounds like a yummy addition. Looks lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary - I actually got the pan as a gift and haven't a clue where it was bought! I will try to find out though.

    Emilie - thank you!

    Loulee - Apple butter is like a very concentrated form of apple sauce. I've only actually made it once and it was some time ago - I'll see if I can find the recipe I used for you!

    Patricia - Send some of that cool air this way please!

    Shaun - We've only had quince once and it was delicious! Have any favorite recipes?

    Kelly-Jane - The nuts were a fantastic addition!

    ReplyDelete