Monday, September 25, 2006

Raw not so good... but cooked? Fantastic!

After waking up this morning, we looked outside and happened to notice a big rainbow! I don't think it rained, but it looked pretty cool - almost as if it ends right in our garage! Too bad we didn't find a pot of gold (or really good chocolate...)

We used a new fruit in tonight's breakfast-for-dinner of Orange-Yogurt Pancakes with Quince Topping. Quinces are a member of the pomes family and are related to pears and apples - they need to be cooked before eating as they are quite hard and very sour when raw.

A sweet syrup is made first, which will top the light pancakes. Sugar, circles of fresh ginger, lemon juice and wedges of the quinces boil away until the fruit is tender. The ginger is removed and the mixture is left to steep for at least 15 minutes to allow the flavors to develop. While this sits, the pancakes can be quickly whipped up - to add a different zing to them, the wet ingredients incorporate yogurt with bright orange zest and juice to freshen the flavor. With a rich golden color on the outside, the inside boasts a light and airy texture. The pancakes are served with the tender sliced quinces on top and a drizzle of the zesty syrup - I only wish the syrup would have gotten a touch thicker as mine was pretty thin. There was a fair amount of syrup left after a drizzle, so feel free to give them a good soak if choose. We both agree these were excellent and the delicious leftovers will be had first thing in the morning for breakfast.


6 comments:

  1. Yumm, your pancakes look delicious!!
    My son loves pancakes for dinner (we rarely havem them for breakfast though...). I saw the recipe in the magazine and thought it sounded good. Thanks for the review Joe!
    I have never had quince, time to try something new!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore quinces. Even if you don't cook them, just keep some in a bowl in your kitchen, the scent will be maddeningly delicious. Aside from Hero brand quince preserves (a real favourite), try poaching the quince in maple syrup. Lovely combination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The texture of yogurt and the tang of orange- and quince. Wow. Interesting combination and definitely worth trying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe,
    Where on earth did you get your quines? I have been looking anxiously around the farmers' markets in Santa Monica and Long Beach...none yet.
    I'm so jealous of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had quinces but I keep hearing so much about them, I need to figure out where I can get my hands on some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ana - Yes - definitely try them!

    Peter - It does sound lovely!

    Liz - I hope you get a chance to try them!

    Shaun - I'm surprised you can't find them! They have been in the markets up here for the past couple of weeks!

    Brilynn - Keep checking for them, they are so good!

    ReplyDelete