Sunday, September 17, 2006

Finally using some beef...

Nine new recipes this week, not too shabby - but not as much as we have been doing! The slow down was a nice change of pace. Looking back on the recipes, the standouts for us were the Banana Oat Breakfast Cookies, Spinach and Cheese Bites, and Roasted Asparagus with Orange Vinaigrette. There is a special day coming up this week, check back and see what happens!

I've been waiting to use up some top round we bought a few weeks ago when it went on sale. Since we were already busy most of the morning with grocery shopping, I didn't want to spend too much time in the kitchen tonight - so we went with a recipe for Orange Beef Stir-Fry. I waited until this morning to take the beef out of the freezer so it would still be pretty firm when I got to it - this makes it easy to get thin slices. If you didn't freeze the meat already, stash it in the freezer for around 15-30 minutes and that will accomplish the same thing. I took the time to make brown jasmine rice, but you could use white to get this dinner on the table faster. I prefer to steam broccoli, instead of boiling as the recipe called for, but do it how you prefer - just take it to crisp-tender. The beef is coated with cornstarch, seasoned and goes for a quick fry in a hot skillet. The cornstarch on the beef will help thicken a killer sauce made from fresh orange juice, rice vinegar, soy sauce and brown sugar. For how quick and easy this is, Jeff and I were surprised at how much we liked it - the tangy sauce paired with beef was not too sweet and almost had us licking the plate clean!


5 comments:

  1. This recipe just gave me a flashback to my 2nd year of college--1992. It was when I first started cooking alot more and using recipes--the cookbook addiction must have started around then. I think my recipe had used chicken, and I probably used minute rice, but the other ingredients are the same. I think that's when I started eating broccoli! I may need to try the recipe (or yours) again and see if I can get back on broccoli since it is so good for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would've served it OVER the rice to soak up the glaze :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing.I have all of thei ngredients on hand and plan to make it tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good - might have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer - That's cool! Let me know if you try it!

    Wheresmymind - Well I did, you just can't see the rice under the meat!

    Elizabeth - Let me know how it turns out!

    Jeph - It was very good! Jeff finished up the leftovers today and commented again on how much he liked it.

    ReplyDelete