Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Breakfast for dinner!

Tuesday came upon us fast this week and I needed to come up with something for Jeff to bring into the office for the weekly Wednesday treat day! This time I went with Creme Filled Chocolate Snaps.

These thin and crispy cookies remind me of the "famous" chocolate wafer cookies that you can find in the grocery store. Because of the dutch cocoa, they are very dark and have a deep depth of flavor you would not quite achieve if you used regular cocoa. These would be great as a cheesecake crust, ice cream dessert or just to snack on! We decided to fill these oreo style. 1/3 are filled with a vanilla creme, 1/3 are filled with a chocolate creme and 1/3 are filled with a half vanilla half/chocolate mixture. The snaps are just crispy enough to give a nice crunch, but not so hard that the filling squeezes out when you bite into them.

Tonight we felt like we were in the carribean having Baked Coconut French Toast with Tropical Fruit Compote. I prepared everything early this morning so it had plenty of time to sit in the refrigerator for the flavors to marry together. This sweet french toast is firm, not soggy, and the coconut adds a nice crunch on top. Using fresh fruit instead of syrup brings a whole new dimension to this dish. The original recipe had papaya in it, but I used grapes instead as I could not find a decent one this past weekend. The toast is good on it's own, but the compote puts this dish over the edge. Marking this one down as company-worthy!
Recipes

11 comments:

  1. Hey Joe, those cookies look great. How do they compare to the similar ones from Small Batch Baking you made a while back?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cookies look awesome!

    Just curious - do you work outside the home?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I could actually do breakfast for dinner if it looked like that! Very colourful.

    And I too am curious to see your answer to anon.'s question.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joe, i've just stumbled upon your site for the first time today. And of course you had me at the cookies, they look great. Looking forward to your future creations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe, that offer to send a tin of Hershey's Special Dark cocoa stands!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice photo!

    paz

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cookies are gorgeous! I'm drooling!

    It is nice every once in a while to turn the day upside down and do an eggy meal for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. punky - I thought these were much better than the SBB ones. More work but worth it.

    Anonymous - Thanks! Depending on what day of the week it is, I do most of my work from home.

    s'kat - The leftovers were good too for lunch!

    Michele - Thanks for finding us!

    Stephanie - I will let you know if I can't find any when I run out of the Penzey's dutch cocoa!

    Thanks Paz!

    Ruth - Thanks! I like doing that once in a while too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Again, love the pictures. The french toast looks great. I think the recipe is from Orange, a restaurant in Chicago??? I remember CL doing an article on them. I've been to Orange and my friend ordered the french toast. It was great. I never made it at home, but yours looks just as good as the restaurants.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops! I just realized I was wrong about that french toast. I thought you made this CL recipe "Coconut French Toast with Grilled Pineapple and Tropical Salsa" from last year. I didn't realize the recipe you made was in 11/05. Duh! It is Friday, right? :-)

    michelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michelle - yep it was from the latest magazine!

    ReplyDelete