Thursday, November 03, 2005

Using up extra sour cream...

I had some extra sour cream that didn't have a use yet and I came across a recipe for Sour Cream Muffins with Poppy Seed Streusel. These muffins baked up with a nice dome and they have a light and tender texture. I used half whole wheat pastry flour, as I sometimes do, to try to improve the nutrition a little. I don't think it affected the texture at all. The streusel topping is very good and unlike some recipes there is just enough to cover, but not so much that it all falls off when you eat it. I like my muffins to have a nice crust so I tend to not use muffin liners.


Serving up dinner tonight with Pasta Margherita. Topping the pasta is a mixture of fresh tomatoes, basil, garlic and green onions. The addition of fresh mozzarella reminded me a lot of a margherita pizza except the crust here is the noodles. This was a fast, very flavorful and filling meat-free option for dinner.

Recipes

4 comments:

  1. Cute muffin holder/prop, Joe. That streussel does look good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...do you guys have that cupcake tower-thing? It's very high up on my 'must get' gadget list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY interesting muffins, though I can't decide if that topping looks amazing or somewhat gross. I'm leaning towards amazing, but with some disturbing overtones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nic - Thanks!

    Stephanie - I think I know what your talking about. I don't have it but so want one!

    Barret - I can attest to the taste and they are not gross at all! The combo may sound a little different but it is very good! I liked the topping.

    ReplyDelete