Monday, November 28, 2005

Kneading the night away...

We used up the last of the bread I made a few weeks ago on Sunday. I've been looking for another type to try as we generally toast some on weekend mornings. We both love cinnamon so I went browsing for a sweet bread and looked to the Bread Baker's Apprentice for something I could modify.

Cinnamon Swirl Bread originally had raisins and walnuts but I wanted a plain cinnamon swirl type bread. You could certainly knead in fruit and nuts if you wish about 2 minutes before the dough is ready to proof. After the dough went through its rising proccess, it was ready to be rolled out into 2 rectangles. I put a generous amount of cinnamon sugar over the top and carefully, but tightly, rolled them into loaf shapes trying to keep the swirl going. I could hardly wait the hour for them to cool before I started slicing as the sweet cinnamon smell had me checking the timer every couple minutes.

Dinner tonight made for a few dishes, but we both really enjoyed the results. Shrimp, Broccoli, and Sun-Dried Tomatoes with Farfalle Pasta has a smooth and silky sauce that comes close to tasting like an Alfredo sauce. Crisp-tender broccoli and the tomatoes add great color and a contrast of flavors against the large shrimp. The shrimp came frozen from Trader Joe's and was already deveined which allowed for fast prep of only having to remove the shells. I did sprinkle the fresh parmesan over the top instead of mixing in with the sauce. This should reheat well and at 4 servings the portions were pretty large!

Recipes

9 comments:

  1. I am not fan of pasta but the shrimp dish does look yummy!!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesssss - cinnamon bread WITHOUT raisins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow your bread looks awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bread looks so good. My stomach is now growling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum. That bread looks so good! On Thursday or Friday, when I have a little more time, I'm going to have to make some bread! My favorite bread recipe is here:

    http://www.lakebreeze.org/kitchen.htm

    Since this recipe makes 3 loaves, sometimes I make one loaf into a raisin bread and I love being able to put in as many raisins as I want, too! Now, I'm hungry for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kalyn!

    Ana - It was really tasty! The leftovers held up well too.

    EJP - The bread is so good toaster with a touch of butter...

    Mebeth - Yeah! Although sometimes I do like raisins in the bread!

    Ruth - Thanks!

    Amateur - Thank you!

    Dawn - Thanks for the link to that - thats a great idea making 3 loaves so you can do each one as you like!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous bread! The swirl is so delicate and perfect. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH my gosh that pasta is making me salivate! It looks so good! Thanks for stopping by Messy Cucina!

    I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete