Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Spicy Chicken Cakes with Horseradish Aioli

Spicy Chicken Cakes with Horseradish Aioli (Adapted from CL)

3 ounces whole wheat bread
16 ounces boneless/skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks
1/4 cup chopped green onions
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 teaspoons canola oil

For the Aioli

2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
1/8 teaspoon salt

Add whole wheat bread in a food processor and pulse until they resemble coarse crumbs. Measure out 1 cup and save any leftovers for another use.

To grind the chicken, add it to the food processor and pulse just until ground. Be careful not to go too long.

In a medium bowl, mix together ground chicken, chives, 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, cajun seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon salt, egg, and breadcrumbs. Evenly divide mixture into 8 portions and flatten out into thick patties.

Add oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Carefully place the patties in the pan and cook 6-8 minutes on each side or until done.

For the aioli

In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, horseradish, garlic and salt. Serve with the cakes. This makes a small amount, so if you like things more saucy, I would double the aioli ingredients.

Click here for the main post

8 comments:

  1. yum, those look great joe! and i bet these would be great served in toasted hamburger buns. i'm totally making these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kickpleat - Absolutely... they would be great in buns as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were *really* good. Funny thing is, my husband's first comment was, "We could stick these on a bun!"

    Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm spotlighting this recipe today on my blog as part of South Beach Recipes of the Week. I've included your photo (with a photo credit for you, of course.) Please let me know if you have any problem with how I've done this.
    Thanks,
    Kalyn

    P.S. I'm writing this from SF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look so GOOD! I am bookmarking them right away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alice H - Hee hee, Jeff said the same thing!

    Kalyn - Wow - thanks! Of course it's no problem... great write up!

    Gabriella - Let me know if you try them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just letting you know, these have become a staple in our house. My husband loves them, and despite the mayonnaise in them, they freeze beautifully, which makes it really nice for times when I need to throw some dinner together quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alice - Awesome! I wish I made repeat recipes more often, I need to do this one again!

    ReplyDelete