Thursday, September 08, 2005

Broccoli overload...

When I was out yesterday there was some great looking broccoli on sale so I had to grab a few. I love making anything with broccoli as it has so many health benefits. It's a great quick snack to have around raw too! I never ate any while growing up but as an adult have grown to enjoy it.

I had this recipe laying around since I think '03 in the stack - I thought it was about time to try it! The dish was filled to the brim (literally) with broccoli. I almost thought it was going to be too much but it worked out great. I used a sweet, silky, and buttery fontina cheese since it melds in so well. I did add a little cayenne for that extra kick! Freshly grated nutmeg, even only being 1/8 teaspoon, really helps build a great background flavor. With the broccoli not being fully submerged in the egg mixture, it has a chance to slightly caramelize the tender broccoli florets. A sprinkling of parmesan on top finished off the quiche.

Crustless Broccoli and Cheese Quiche(CL)

8 comments:

  1. i love broccoli too. That looks great. What issue? Broccoli is on sale for 99 cents so Id like to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Randi!

    Its from the July '03 Issue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really good. I am going to have to go dig out my books! Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fabulous. I remember my mother "dressing up" the broccoli with buttery breadcrumbs. I don't know why (my mom was an amazing cook usually) but her broccoli always was limp and grey. No wonder we didn't like it as kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks and sounds delicious! I love CL recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any chance we might persuade you to post the recipe? It looks like a definite winner, one I'd love to try myself for A Veggie Venture! Alanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle - Thanks!

    Ruth - That's how I saw broccoli before I tried making it myself. So true!

    Thanks Beth!

    Chloe - This does not taste eggy at all! Broccoli can be used so many different ways.

    AK - I will get the recipe posted for you tonight!

    ReplyDelete