Tuesday, September 06, 2005

More heat please...

I made a recipe similar to tonight's dinner not too long ago - but that was more of a stir-fry with the same name. This one ends up more sauce and is served on top of a blend of rices that I frequently use. It called for 6 dried red chilies, but next time I think I would add a couple more as we like things on the spicy side. The orange flavor from the peel and grand marnier do come through more than the other dish.

Spicy Orange Beef(CL '04)
Tuesday is my "bake something to bring into Jeff's office" day as I've said before so I thought I would use this time to test out some recipes for the upcoming holidays. I found this on Epicurious, but believe it's from Rose Levy Beranbaum. These have a very intense peanut butter flavor - half are filled with a dark chocolate/milk chocolate mixture that I hand piped in. The other half are filled with a smooth jam. The cookies have a classic sandy peanut butter cookie texture, but still remain very light. The chocolate/PB ones do remind me of bitting into a reeses! I had a quite a bit of chocolate leftover so I thought I would pipe out the remaining into stars and reserve them for future cookies (who am I kidding? for future eating!)

Peanut butter and Jelly Jewels

10 comments:

  1. Even though I dont eat meat, it still looks good. Do you follow the portion sized that CL reccomends?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those PEanut Butter Jewels look gorgeous.. is there/will there be a recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never mine...just read epicurious... its late, that is my excuse and I am sticking to it ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've tried to forget about the Caramel Frosted Chocolate Chip Zucchini Sheet Cake you posted yesterday... but I can't. Please do post the recipe! I love zucchini in any form and would so like to try it... grazie mille

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can almost taste the peanut butter cookies! I would want them with the chocolate stars! I just might have to make them this weekend since my family loves peanut butter cookies! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks delicious. As for the cookies, I'll take mine with dark chocolate please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will have to try the Spicy Orange Beef soon. And I will keep in mind to use the extra chilis. The cookies look great. My holiday cookies are always jam thumbprints. Something about bite-sized cookies, they scream festive to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The spicy orange beef looks good! I know what you mean about needing more heat - I regularly up the ante on dishes like this, sometimes with a little Sambal Oelek in addition to the dried peppers. It's also true that I eat things that would kill half of my co-workers, though, so I tend to err on the fierce side.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, peanut butter and chocolate. Yum...another must-try for the B&B.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Randi - Sometimes, but it depends on the recipe. They can be very skimpy - like 18 servings out of a cake? Come on!

    Linda - let me know if you have any questions!

    CE - I got the recipe posted! Thanks for visiting!

    Michelle - yeah, I really liked the chocolate ones too! So good!

    Thanks Ruth!

    Punky - I agree! Do try the beef it was very good! Thanks!

    Yeah - spicy foods rock Dawna!

    Violet thanks for visiting. I actually used a good quality seedless strawberry jam.

    Thanks Crystal!

    ReplyDelete