Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Fun with Caramel

Keeping with the fall theme this week I found a recipe that had me at first glance. Being Tuesday it was a perfect day to get these made so Jeff could bring these in for his co-workers. Caramel Apple Bars have a chewy and oatmeal cookie like crust topped with sliced apples and homemade caramel. You can use the premade caramel squares mixed with a couple tablespoons of milk, but making your own is so much better! With some of the base thrown on top to give some added crunch these bake into a delicious fall bar cookie.

Caramel Apple Bars
*Click on the photo to enlarge

After finding some great goat cheese in Whole Foods, I found this recipe I saved from an older Gourmet Magazine. Orzo with Ham and Goat Cheese is a very simple recipe, but has a lot of flavor. Instead of cooking the orzo in water as the recipe suggests, I used chicken broth as I thinks it lends a great taste to the pasta. This is like a big bowl of comfort food for us. The dish ended up having a creamy texture inside with a nice crunch on top from briefly broiling. Hard to believe with such few ingredients that this has so much flavor!

Orzo with Ham and Goat Cheese
*Click on the photo to enlarge

10 comments:

  1. I so love caramel apples so these are right up my alley. Once again you have me drooling on my keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at caramel!!! Oh, I go weak for caramel. Always have, always will.

    And I've been itching to make something new...hmmm...very nice!

    The orzo looks fabulous; Matt doesn't care for ham, but if I swapped it out for prosciutto or pancetta I'm sure he'd love this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sound so good! My son wants to bake with me this weekend and he loves caramel apples so I think I will show him this! Tonight we are supposed to bake those doughnut cookies you posted before. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joe,

    I just wanted to write and let you know that the Caramel Apple Bar are delicious! I work with Jeff and I told him that these were the best treat you've made so far! Thanks for treating us every Wednesday! We always look forward to Wednesday Treat Day!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. The orzo with ham and goat cheese is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I love baked apples (cooked, in cakes, muffins, etc), and your caramel apple bars look awesome! You are going to post the recipe on the blog, right?!
    Oh, and before I forget, I made your Buttermilk Chocolate Chip Muffins the other day and we liked it a lot!(It was before I started my blog, so I did not take a picture, but they looked just like yours)
    I did not use chocolate chips on mine, and next time I think I will add some cinnamon and raisins to the batter. I will let you know how they come out!
    Thanks for sharing the recipe Joe!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the shot of your apple bar. Very cool and artsy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Punky!

    Stephanie - They were so good. The leftovers of the orzo reheated very well.

    Michelle - Hope your doughnut cookies turn out well! We really like them and they freeze great!

    Judy - Thanks for visiting! I'm very glad to hear that they were good!

    Big Papi - Glad you enjoyed them!!

    Hey Catherine - Thanks! I did this the other night!

    Sara - This is definetly one of our favorites now too!

    Ana - Thanks! Glad to hear your muffins came out well!

    Hi Ruth - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome picture of that apple bar. My bday was Tues and I'm having fun looking at everyones' blogs for my bday. I love apple desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Mona! Happy belated bithday!

    ReplyDelete