Sunday, September 18, 2005

How much for that brownie in the window?

**As you can see I have changed the look of the website. If you happen to find anything that does not work right in your browser please feel free to e-mail me with the link on the right hand side. Thanks!

After getting the recipes ready last night I made my list and we went off to the grocery store. Found everything I needed execpt fresh cranberries as they are not in season yet (do they even come frozen?)

I had a request that I needed to fill for tomorrow (check back tomorrow to find out why!) in which I ended up making these brownies today. I have done them before and they are so crazy rich and good. They are packed with pieces of oreos and are quite fudgy (my favorite kind....) so I like to refrigerate them for clean cutting.

Our DVD for tonight from netflix will be XXX: State of the Union. I've seen both good and bad reviews - last night's movie was pretty good. We did have a problem with the disc so we missed about 10 mins in the center and near the end. Oh well!

Keep checking back this week - it will be full of new recipes and a fair amount of baking! Stay tuned!

Outrageous Oreo Crunch Brownies (Adapted from Ina Garten)

4 sticks butter
1 pound semisweet chocolate chips
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
7 large eggs
2 tablespoons espresso, instant powder
2 tablespoons vanilla
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup plus 1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups chopped Oreo cookies about 50 cookies

Preheat the oven to 350°.

Butter and flour an 12″ x 18″ x 1″ baking pan. I like to use foil for ease of getting them out. In a heatproof medium bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, heat butter, chocolate chips and unsweetened chocolate until melted and smooth. Allow to cool slightly.

In a large bowl, whisk eggs, coffee, vanilla and sugar. Blend chocolate mixture into egg mixture; cool to room temperature.

In a medium bowl, sift together one cup flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture. In a small bowl, stir Oreos and remaining 1/4 cup flour. Add Oreo mixture to chocolate mixture. Pour batter into baking pan and smooth top with a rubber spatula.

Bake 28-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted 3 inches from center comes out clean with some crumbs attached; do not overbake. Allow to cool. Refrigerate to get clean cuts.

18 comments:

  1. Joe, those brownies look amazing.

    As to your question about cranberries. They are available frozen - at least up here in Toronto Canada. That said by this time of year they are harder to find. The fresh ones don't come out until October usually. Good luck with the hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive always wanted to make the barefoot contessa's brownies- if only it didnt yield such a huge batch! they look great though. i love oreo anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those brownies are on my to try list. Yum!

    I was on your blog earlier and couldn't read the font--too small. I'm glad I can read it now! The changes look good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. verdomme! 4 sticks of butter, 7 eggs, 2 cups of sugar plus all those oreo cookies? i guess this isnt one of those eat the whole pan of brownies in 1 sitting affairs is it lol my brownie philosophy will definitely have to change for these ones. lethal brownies :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The site looks good, Joe. And they should have frozen cranberries - the Ocean Spray brand - in the frozen food section. I never have any problems finding them, even in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joe, that is probably my all-time favorite brownie recipe. I usually scale it down, though. If you don't need enough brownies to feed Texas, you can make 1/2 the recipe and cook it in a 13x9 inch pan or 1/4 the recipe in an 8x8 inch pan. The total cook time for the 8x8 inch pan is about 18 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my!! I have to try this brownie recipe sometime soon! I have read nice reviews about it and now this pictures just makes it look even better and more outrageous! Plus, who does not like chocolate... and oreos togheter, this can't be bad at all!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the new look - very clean & functional.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow..everyone is making brownies right now!

    Niki at esurientes, Cathy from My Little Kitchen, even my brownie pie!

    And it's not like we're experiencing true fall-like weather?!

    That said; excellent-looking brownies, Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are the most phenomenally delicious brownies ever! Looks like they turned our perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The brownies look delish!! Have you tried many recipes from Barefoot Contessa? I've tried a few & haven't had much sucess, maybe she's just bad luck for me or something..lol

    And about the craberries, I ran into the same problem, but found dried cranberries, I think they were with the raisins. I was making cranberry orange muffins, so I just heated a bit of orange juice on the stove, simmered them for a few minutes then took them off the heat & let them plump back up & the recipe came out great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my goodness! ina's recipes are always so over the top, but so good! wow, i'm definitely going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ina's brownies are raved about and they sure do look delicious with oreos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. For a second there I thought I had the wrong blog!

    Looks good...and the brownies, too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. YUUUUM!! Those look incredible!! Thanks for visiting my new blog Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i made these outrageous brownies for the egullet heartland gathering back in july( it was in ann arbor). I shared the baking duties with someone. They didnt come out as I expected and then i heard ina say they should be refridgerated at least 24hrs before serving. So, I guess ill try again. What kind of chocolate did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks everyone for the comments!

    ReplyDelete