Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Treats for a friend

**For users who view this in a 800 X 600 screen resolution you may notice some issues - we are currently trying to work out these issues and ask for your patience! Thanks! As you can see I have changed the look of the website. If you happen to find anything that does not work right in your browser please feel free to e-mail me with the link on the right hand side.

A friend of ours flew in today and wanted to know if I would make her something that was crunchy and chocolately. I sent her a list of options and got a quick responce back. I was happy with the selection as it was something i've never done before and wanted to! These crackers were very easy to work with and definetly make the repeat for gifts list. They have an intense chocolate flavor and have a quite a snap to them. Here they are wrapped up so we can give them away tomorrow (I did keep some this time for myself - they are very good!)

Chocolate Graham Crackers
Another two new dishes for dinner tonight. I was a little concerned after I started reading some reviews of this recipe that it was bland and that it didn't come out well. I'm not sure what happened when they made it but I'm very happy I stuck with it because this was quite good! I used fresh sweet corn and I think that made a big difference. I upped the spices a tad and would do so again.

Corn Pudding
The main dish tonight was a very tasty combination of couscous, chicken, dried cherries, fire roasted tomatoes and quite a few spices. The smokey cumin, spicey ground red pepper, woody flavor from the thyme and the interesting addition of all-spice and clove combine to make such a different yet captavating sauce.

Spiced Chicken with Couscous

Chocolate Graham Crackers(Adapated from KA Cookie Companion)

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup dutch-process cocoa, sifted
1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons cold milk

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Cut two sheets of parchment as long as your baking sheets (I used 13 X 18 cookie sheets) and set aside.

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. With a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture until you achieve small lumps throughout. In a small bowl, combine the honey and milk, stirring until the honey dissolves. Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and toss lightly with a fork until the dough starts to form. If it looks a little dry, add just a touch more milk.

Scrape the dough onto a well floured surface and fold it gently about 12 times, just until it turns smooth. Divide the dough in half. Working with one piece at a time while keeping the remaining dough covered.

Roll out one piece of dough on the cut parchment paper about a bit larger than a 10 X 14" rectangle. The dough should be about 1/16" thick. Trim the edges and prick the dough evenly with a fork.

Place the parchment paper onto your baking sheet and baking for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately with a sharp knife or pizza wheel cut into 16 rectangles. Cool on your pan for 10 minutes and then break along the lines and cool completely on a wire rack.

Corn Pudding(CL)

3 cups corn kernels (about 6 ears)
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
1/2 cup egg substitute
2 tablespoons 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine corn, chives, thyme, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk together the milk, egg substitute, cream cheese, and egg in a medium bowl. Add the milk mixture to the corn mixture, and stir well to combine. Pour the corn mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for about 55 minutes or until top of pudding is golden brown.

12 comments:

  1. those grahm crackers look fabulous. I could go for a few with a big glass of milk. I better go to bed though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so funny you have made graham crackers, which look great by the way. I added graham crackers to my must bake list just today actually. Hope mine are as big a success as yours =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I must make chocolate graham crackers to go with my homemade marshmallows--sounds like s'mores to die for.

    just noticed something--would you mind making the link to my blog "kitchenMage" instead of "Kitchen Mage"? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a niece who would probably love to get some homemade chocolate graham crackers! Thanks, Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa! I can't believe you made those graham crackers! They look store-bough, but I'm sure they taste way better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chloe already said it but I will have to repeat: your graham crackers do look professional! Very nice!! I am a big fan of graham crackers, they are one of my favorite crackers ever! I usualy like the honey ones, have not tried chocolate yet, which makes it a pretty good excuse to try your recipe, huh?!! I hope mine come out looking so good as yours! (as I bet they taste just as good as they look!)
    Have you made honey ones?!
    Thanks for sharing the recipe!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the graham crackers! I wouldn't have thought of them, when told to find "chocolatey and crunchy" but you are so right...they totally fit the bill. Dinner looked good as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I am so going to make those graham crackers. They look great. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! It never occurred to me that one could make their own graham crackers, and like others have mentioned, your picture certainly inspires me to try! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Randi - Thanks! I did have some with Soy milk and they went together very well!

    Culinarily Obsessed - Hope you get a chance to make some. I think they are much butter than store bought!

    Kitchenmage - Great Idea! I did change your link. Thanks for letting me know!

    S'kat - Hope you get a chance to make some!

    Chloe - Thanks!

    Ana - I have not tried to make the honey version but I do plan to try soon!

    Alice - Thanks!

    Punky - Let me know if you like them!

    Erika - I was happy when I found the recipe and they turned out well. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so excited for these graham crackers. I'm going to try the gluten-free version soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. think i am going to try the crackers too. they look wonderful. thanks for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete