Friday, January 06, 2006

Adding a new grain to our diet...

The highlight of tonight's dinner is a product we have never used or eaten before. Quinoa, a grainlike product, is very rich in protein, iron and fiber. Pronounced “keen-wa”, it is technically a seed from a plant somewhat related to spinach. Quinoa is fast to prepare and has quite an interesting texture. When cooked, the grain explodes out to release a soft and creamy inside, while the coating dispurses into tiny, crunchy, spiral bits. To ensure you get the best flavor, I would recommend toasting the grain, before cooking, to bring out a roasted nutty taste.

Quinoa Salad with Toasted Pistachios and Dried Pineapple
has many different flavors and textures involved. Dried pineapple brings a subtle fruity sweetness and remains fairly soft. For some additional crunch in the salad, chopped pistachios are first toasted to bring out the nuttiness, and they have a slight sweetness that compliments the pineapple. Toasted sesame oil lends moisture and ties all of the flavors together. Adding chunked grilled chicken breast makes this a filling main dish, but if you left that out, it would be a great side dish.


11 comments:

  1. I am so glad you wrote about this! I have for the longest time wondered what it was! I read about it in different places, but never knew what it was. The weirdo in me thought it was some kind of fruit or veggie. How embarrassed am I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well of course, I'm a huge fan of quinoa! It's one of the few grains that's completely gluten-free as well. I cook with it all the time. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. quinoa is delicious. Did you know that it's the only grain with a complete protein? Use apple juice instead of water, a touch of cinnamon, and some raisins (and finish with a bit of butter, hee hee) for a delicious dessert. Oh, and make sure you wash it, (rinse well couple of times, and pour through a sieve) it has a waxy coating that can be kind of bitter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, thanks for visiting my blog. That diet coke with lime is quite addicting isn't it? I'm trying to drink less soda and more water, but I know I will never give it up completely. I've been wanting to try quinoa for the longest time, so this recipe may have gotten me to take the plunge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh...the answer to one of my resolutions...more whole grains in my diet! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been wanting to try some quinoa since some friends of our reccomended it. Thanks for reviewing this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you liked Quinoa check out one of my recipes:
    http://onewholeclove.typepad.com/one_whole_clove/2005/09/i_cant_believe_.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle - No need to be embarrassed! I didn't know much about it either!

    Shauna - I'm very happy we tried it!

    Chef Joanna - That sounds awesome! Thanks for the tips!

    Kalyn - Give it a try!

    Lisa - Yeah!

    Patti - It is pretty easy, give it a shot! Let me know if you do try it!

    Sarah - Cool! I will go check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This dish sounds particularly delicious.

    Thanks for sharing and I look forward to many for visits to your site in 2006. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my clients can't eat wheat and I introduced her to Quinoa. She loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i've got quinoa in my pantry waiting to be tried -- hubby's got wheat sensitivities:( -- i'll be putting this recipe on my list!

    ReplyDelete