Friday, January 20, 2006

Hearty and meat free soup....

It was windy and chilly today (well for Phoenix anyway) so I was looking for a warm and comforting soup for dinner tonight. Most soups we make have some sort of meat involved or are pretty thin, but this one tonight was thick, hearty, and totally veggie!

Potato, Spinach and Tomato Soup is naturally thickened from thinly sliced potatoes that slowly break down while cooking. Since we don't mind the skins I left them on, but if that bothers you, certainly peel them before slicing. I was a little worried after the potatoes started melting into the soup as it was quite thick before I added the spinach and tomatoes. I thought about adding some liquid to loosen it up a touch, but after I added them they gave up just enough liquid to thin it enough and keep a creamy consistency. I had some leftover sourdough bread in the freezer, so I toasted up a couple slices and rubbed them with a cut garlic clove. I added some parmesan to them and set them under the broiler to make some cheese toasts to set on top - kinda like a big crouton. The soup warmed us up and was very filling!

I did make another batch of the Apple-Cinnamon Granola today. I keep meaning to try some new and different recipes, but keep returning to this as we really enjoy it. Great with yogurt or even ice cream!

3 comments:

  1. I love your soup bowls! Soup is my favorite comfort food--any kind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh. That soup sounds so comforting. I'd have to make it for myself. I really can't believe how picky the signif. other can be about things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JJ - Thanks! It's the perfect time for soup around here!

    thediningdica - It was! Let me know if you give it a whirl!

    ReplyDelete