Saturday, January 21, 2006

Pizza... dessert style

Normally when I would think of a dessert pizza, it would be made with a sweet bread dough or even a regular crust. This recipe may not be your typical dessert pizza, but I can really see making this again for a fun treat.

Deep Dish Chocolate-Peanut Butter Marshmallow Pizza starts out with a thick chocolate cookie crust. After pre-baking for a few minutes, it is removed from the oven and raspberry jam is spread over the hot crust. If you don't like jam, or don't happen to have it, you could use so many other things. What comes to my mind first would be peanut butter or a caramel/butterscotch sundae sauce. When the crust is spread with whatever you choose, I sprinkled chopped dark chocolate and peanut butter chips over the top. Mini marshmallows are then dropped on top before going back into the oven to finish baking. For something different and fun, use the colored mini marshmallows! As it bakes, the marshmallows slowly expand and adhear to the crust. They also competely fill up any spaces that were between them. As it cooled, I was trying to figure out how best to cut it since it was covered in gooey marshmallows.


I stuck it in the freezer when it cooled down for about 5 minutes and when I cut it, the pieces came out pretty clean and the topping did not really stick to the knife much. While these are excellent cold, if you stick them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds the chips remelt on the bottom and the top gets slightly gooey. While it is fun to watch - be careful as if you heat them too long you will have a big mess from the marshmallows!

Netflix brought us the DVD Kung Fu Hustle with Stephen Chow for tonight's movie flick. I have some ideas in mind for the menu this week, but as always I will be going through the packs of untried recipes tonight after the movie to figure out the full week.

11 comments:

  1. Yum! I'm a sucker for anything with marshmallows, Joe. I bet this would be good with bananas, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to confess that sometimes I only come to your blog to get cheered up.To see beautiful things. To me you are a truly gifted cook and I am very lucky to have come across your blog.It's a privilege.Have a lovely Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pie looks amazing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing Joe. Chocolate and marshmallow, bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really looks good! I love marshmallows and peanut butter. It makes a very lovely picture also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks really good. If you made it with a grahm cracker crust you'd have a s'more pie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a fun twist on pizza. You are a creative maestro Joe! Combo doesn't get better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nic - Me too. Bananas would have been excellent underneath!

    Valentina - Thank you!

    JJ - It tasted pretty good too! It survived being stored in the freezer as well!

    Patti - I agree, they go great!

    Michelle - Thanks!

    fromourkitchen - Good idea!

    Mona - Thanks Mona!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a decadent little beauty! I'm all for the graham crust idea!

    BTW, Kung Fu Hustle is one of my all-time favourite movies. I love watching it with the sub-titling and dubbing on at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. s'kat - Subtitles AND dubbing? I should have explored the DVD more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joe, this pizza stole my heart!

    ReplyDelete