Saturday, January 28, 2006

Buzzed from cupcakes...

A couple weeks ago I mentioned using some new baking cups when I made a whole grain muffin. I wanted to see how they would do using a lighter batter with a cupcake to see how they would perform.

After sifting through the recipe piles I came up with Coffee Cupcakes with Espresso Syrup. If you love coffee I think you will enjoy these. While I do quite like frappaccinos, I am not a huge fan of coffee by itself. So while these definitely have an upfront coffee flavor, it is not overwhelming. If you don't have access to instant espresso, you can use instant coffee, but use just a bit more than the recipe calls for. For something different, before I set these in the oven, I placed a chocolate covered espresso bean in the center of each cup filled with batter. I was worried that it would just sink to the bottom while baking, but it stayed right in its place.

After these are baked and allowed to slightly cool, a toothpick is used to poke holes all over the crown of the cupcake. A syrup is then liberally brushed on that is made from a reduction of sugar, water and espresso. It is slowly absorbed into the cupcake and brings a new dimension of flavor and moistness. When cool, a shower of confectioners' sugar is sifted on top.

Again, they popped right out of the individual sili-cups with no crumbs left behind and seemed to have an even color. Side by side there does not seem to be much difference, except for the texture from the ripples. I did notice that the ones baking in the separate cups seemed to crack a bit on top, where the ones in the regular baking pan were smooth.

Tonight's DVD selection from Netflix will be The Longest Yard with Chris Rock and Adam Sandler. I have not thought much about the menu for next week, but I hope to get it planned out later. It's not like I don't have enough new recipes to look through!

6 comments:

  1. Great recipe, Joe!

    I love coffee and any cupcake with a filling is yummy for me.

    You have a great blog ... keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cupcakes look yummy! Loved "The Longest Yard" - very funny movie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sound good. I wish I liked coffee more! I may just try them anyway and give them to mom. She likes coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look of your cupcakes, very pretty and the melted chocolate inside looks yummy! I am not the biggest coffee fan, but actually like chocolate covered expresso beans!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  5. ivonne - Thanks!

    Michele - Yeah, the movie was pretty funny!

    Michelle - Let me know if you try 'em out!

    Ana - I'm surprised I liked them as much as I did since I'm not a huge coffee fan, but they were not overpowering. I did like the bean inside!

    ReplyDelete
  6. kitchen queen - I've been getting it from World Market - but KA is a great source too!

    ReplyDelete