Friday, January 27, 2006

Veggie filled Friday...

Tonight's dinner menu is filled with veggies. Lots of potatoes, broccoli, carrots and spinach was used to create these two dishes.

This first dish could certainly be used as a side dish, but we opted to go with a little larger portions for the main part of the meal. Potato, Ham, and Spinach Gratin is layered with buttery yukon gold potatoes, salty ham and spinach. The potatoes are thinly sliced right before the dish is put together so the starch does not leach out. I used a food processor and that made very quick work of them. I would suggest using that or a mandolin as there are quite a few potatoes and you want to get even slices. The recipe called for an 8X8" pan, which I used, but after baking I wish I would have went with my instincts as a 9" pan would have been better. This one was a little too full for my liking. The rich tender potatoes are covered in luscious Gruyere cheese that melts and seeps into the little crevices between the slices. If you wanted to go full veggie, take out the ham and use another 10 ounces of spinach or another vegetable you like.

I had a bunch of broccoli and carrots on hand from a sale that I needed to get used up. Normally I would just steam these and serve them on the side, but I was looking for something just a little different. Broccoli and Carrots with Toasted Almonds was quick to prepare and full of flavor. The vegetables are first quickly blanched to brighten and retain their vibrant colors. They are then pan steamed with a bit of butter and chicken stock until crisp tender. Toasted almonds are sprinkled on top to lend a crunch and an intense nutty flavor. I took these out a little earlier than the recipe calls for as we like them with a bit more snap rather than too tender.


4 comments:

  1. Mmmm...that gratin is making me hungry. I love all of the stratas and similar dishes you make - I need to start actually trying some out instead of just drooling all over my monitor. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe,

    What lovely dishes! Especially the gratin. I'm a big fan of gratins and am always looking for new variations.

    Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alysha - Thanks! I love layered dishes..

    Ivonne - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm...The Potato, Ham, Spinach Gratin looks delish. I'll have to put that one in my rotation in the next couple of weeks. A great way to sneak in veggies. :)

    ReplyDelete