Thursday, August 11, 2005

Changing it up...

I decided to spend a lot of my time to finally reorganizing our cabinets in the kitchen as they were a mess to try to find anything. I pulled everything out and now I know where everything is when I need it. If we could only figure out how to paint the kitchen we would be set! It's just so open and connects with many "main" walls that go throughout the house it's hard to decide.

Anna mentioned that she made a version of Bon Appétit Sports bars with Dried fruit and Peanut Butter. I decided to play around with the recipe and see how it would come out. I replaced the corn syrup, honey, dates and raisins then replaced with other items. These held together so well and cut very clean. They are crunchy on the outside but the inside remains chewy. The subtle peanut butter taste pairs well with the whole grain cereal and dried fruits. I also toasted the walnuts before they went in to help bring out more of a nut flavor.

Here is the recipe with my changes. I typically use a scale when I bake for consistancy.

3 cups puffed whole grain Kashi Cereal
60 grams walnuts, chopped and toasted
45 grams dried cranberries
60 grams dried diced apples
85 grams creamy peanut butter
84 grams Brown Rice Syrup
84 grams Lyle's Golden Syrup
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9-inch square baking pan with foil and lighty coat with cooking spray. Mix cereal, walnuts, cranberries, and apples in medium bowl. Combine peanut butter, brown rice syrup, and lyle's golden syrup in heavy small saucepan. Bring to boil, whisking constantly until mixture bubbles vigorously, about 1 minute. Pour peanut butter mixture over cereal mixture in bowl; stir quickly to blend. Pour mixture into prepared pan and press to compact. Bake until just golden around edges, about 10 minutes. Cool completely.

Dinner tonight was leftovers of the Turkey Jasmine meatballs with Bok Choy and Maple Balsamic carrots. Tomorrow night's dinner will be our first time cooking with Tofu - Stay tuned and see how it comes out!

4 comments:

  1. I had those sports bars on my "must try someday" list and they might just have to get bumped up to my "must really try someday soon" list (thats jumping up two lists here, thats big). Thanks for all your support on my chicken. I will be happy to host a chicken roasting party anytime you are around my way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just emptied out my kitchen cabs too...what a mess. I have way too much stuff. I ended up ridding myself of about half of it. The cabinets still look full though. Where does it all come from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe, your Sports Bars look great! I'm glad to hear the brown rice syrup worked well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe, perhaps your post will inspire me to take everything out of my cupboards as well. Now they're just scary!!!

    Can't wait to try out the bars, they look delicious.

    ReplyDelete