Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Knee deep in chicken

So the other day, I mentioned we got a great deal on boneless/skinless chicken breast. I chose today to trim them up a little and put them in servings to freeze. I looked at the first package thinking it was bursting a bit so I took a peak in the refrigerator drawer they were kept in and noticed the icky chicken puddle. Ugh I hate when meat leaks - we even put them in the handy bags they keep beside them. So I get all that cleaned up and start in on the chicken... Can I just say our freezer has enough to feed a small army now? Figures, we don't even have chicken on the menu this week. Next time I see a deal I will force myself to just a couple packages rather than deal with all this mess.

Dinner tonight was a casserole dish that we thought would be an interesting combination of flavors. Succotash-Cheddar Casserole with Crunchy Bacon Topping(CL) peaked my interest when I saw it as I wanted to play around with the ingredients. I used Edamame instead of lima beans, fontina cheese, and fresh grilled corn. For the topping I used Kashi Cheddar TLC crackers along with center-cut bacon. The top was very crunchy and the soft-set creamy filling made for a great texture combination. I served this with the Sour Cream Cheddar biscuits that I froze a couple weeks ago. They reheat and toast up just like they were fresh from the oven.

5 comments:

  1. Did you like this dish? You really like cooking light eh? do you use other magazines? How much did you pay for the chicken breasts? I just bought some glad cutting sheets on clearance to cut up chicken. i HATE chicken slimy juice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randi,

    We enjoyed the dish for what it was. It was very simple and the flavors went well together. This week is heavy in CL as we are trying to get thru the latest Magazine since they had quite a few we wanted to try. We use a variety of magazines, cookbooks and websites to find new ideas.

    We paid $1.47 a pound for the boneless/skinless chicken breasts - the lowest I have ever seen them out this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I feel for ya!! Getting the boneless skinless chicken on sale is a great thing, but prepping it to freeze is another. Can't they do a better job at the grocery stores trimming it? It really is such a mess! It's buy one get one free this week at the GC...I'm dreading all the work ahead.

    Since you obviously love to cook I just had to mention that I made the Eggplant Parmesan from Eating Well tonight. It was FABULOUS...and I've been looking for the perfect recipe for a while now. It sure helped that I have a bounty of fresh tomatoes (finally!) in my garden.

    Val

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish they could trim it better! Thanks for the suggestion from Eating well. I will definetly go look for that one! We've only played around with eggplant a couple times so it would be fun to try something else!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you need the eggplant recipe, Joe, I would happy to post it for you. It really is worth making and the homemade tomato sauce really makes it!
    Val

    ReplyDelete