Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Cookin with beer...

Well - for dinner that is. Before we go on to that since today is Wednesday it is the day Jeff brings in something to share at work. I made this yesterday but it had to set up overnight and I didn't cut or get pictures until this morning. The recipe is adapted from an older Martha recipe. Below are Cocoa Marshmallows. The squares are soft, airy, and the hint of chocolate really makes these wonderful. I used a 9x13 springform to get thinner marshmallows and for ease of getting them out of the pan. They look fairly light because the dusting of powdered sugar so they don't stick to everything in sight!

On we go to tonight's dinner. This was Turkey Vatapa(CL). This used a new ingredient for us which was the Coconut Milk. The recipe calls for 12 oz of beer, but we do not drink that often so a friend (Thanks Leslie!) gave us a can of beer to use. It also includes ground peanuts which brings out a nutty undertone. A great way to use leftover chicken or turkey. The coconut milk gives this a slightly rich and creamy texture that goes very well with the chunky tomatoes and peanuts. Since we usually like it hot (we do live in Phoenix after all) I left half the rib and some seeds from a jalapeno to give a spicy flavor. A splash of fresh lime juice and parsley finished off this stew.


4 comments:

  1. OMG, those marshmallows were sent to me by me Blogging By Mail Swap Partner and they were to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm...it all sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those marshmallows look great!

    I enjoy using coconut milk, as I love Thai/Asian dishes. That includes of course, as much ginger as I can get my grubby hands on! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great. I have a co-worker who makes marshmallows, who knew they could be so good when homemade.

    ReplyDelete