Friday, August 26, 2005

Spicy Soup and More from Small Batch Baking

Chipotle Chicken and Tortilla soup(CL) filled our bowls tonight for dinner. It's a very fast dish as the simmer time is only 5 minutes after you brown the diced chicken. Instead of throwing all the tortilla chips in, I kept some aside and added them as we ate for additional crunchy texture. They also helped to thicken it up some. This is a pretty spicy soup as the heat comes from chipotle chile powder.


The Small Batch Baking cookbook was calling to me today, so I opened it up and I happened to have all the ingredients that the recipe shown called for. Orange Tea Cakes with Honey Orange Glaze(SBB) was fun to make. They are tender, melt in your mouth, one bite (okay maybe two) cakes that have a sweet sticky glaze. They are baked in a mini muffin pan and when they come out of the oven you poke tiny holes in the top so the glaze you pour on can seep inside and run down the sides. This makes them very moist. I added a little orange zest to up the flavor some and would do so again. The recipe makes 8 so it's just the right amount for us.

10 comments:

  1. Mmm...I like the sound of that soup!

    I've found I'm growing quite fond of chipotles in my 'old age'...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how many recipes you try. I have yet to use my Small Batch Baking book...I have the tiny yellow cake marked for this week, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that cookbook, Small Batch Baking! The mini cakes look great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Small Batch Baking book sounds interesting. There's just 2 of us, me and dh. I love to bake but really don't need a whole cake, pie, etc. Well, I guess I need it, but my waistline really doesn't LOL!
    Your soup also looks great, Joe!
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like I am going to have to get me that cookbook! I visited your blog via my sister at Poco-Cocoa and I enjoyed it so much, I check in every day! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy soup...but where is the recipe?! Such a tease you are...

    ReplyDelete
  7. the soup looks good! i too think a recipe post is in order :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! I just posted the recipe for the soup. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the tiny tea cakes. They are so cute. Great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Small batch baking is on my want list--I've seen so many great looking recipes from it. Yum!

    ReplyDelete