Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Busy day...

I tried a bun recipe about a year ago and have been using it ever since for our hamburger buns. We only had one left in the freezer so I made these today to restock. The recipe fits well with our KAF bun pan and using half whole wheat flour it makes for an excellent roll when we have burgers. It has great depth of flavor and freezes very well. I usually make this recipe once or twice a month depending on how fast we go through them.


Using one of the new ingredients purchased this weekend dinner tonight was pretty fun to put together. Turkey-Jasmine rice Meatballs with Bok Choy was the main part of our dinner this evening. I anticipated that the meatballs were going to take some prep time so I mixed and formed them a few hours before dinner. They held together very well and were not at all dried out as I feared they might be. The rice was an interesting but fun texture! It was finished off with a sauce made from the liquid used for steaming the bok choy. The bok choy was slightly sweet and went over well enough that we would use it again.

We had a ton of carrots in the refrigerator that I needed to use so as a side I made Carrot Coins with Maple-Balsamic browned butter. This was excellent! Crisp tender carrots with the sweet buttery glaze was quick to throw together and a definite repeater!

7 comments:

  1. Oh it all looks so yummy. Why can't I make stuff that looks that good? Maybe I will skip the chicken and come to your house for dinner tomorrow :p. Can you hold dinner till 10 or so? Anyways, it all looks so good, and I will have to find out more about those buns sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you've got some nice looking buns.

    (and the carrots aren't bad, either!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Punky! Sure - i'll make sure to set you a chair at the table :-)

    Maureen - Yep its from CL. It was really good! Thankfully I have enough for leftovers!

    Thanks Cookie Jill - I like my buns too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    Just found you blog last week. I am impressed!! I bought some polenta to make a month or so ago but haven't done it yet....how did you do it? The bag I have is in Italian I think so I have little to go on. It looks marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary,

    Thanks! There are quite a few recipes out there to prepare polenta - but for this recipe this is what the recipe from CL called for.

    1 1/2 cups uncooked instant polenta
    6 cups water
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated pecorino Romano cheese

    Place polenta in a large saucepan. Gradually add water and 1/2 teaspoon salt, stirring constantly with a whisk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in grated cheese. Spoon polenta into a 13 x 9-inch pan coated with cooking spray, spreading evenly. Press plastic wrap onto surface of polenta; chill 2 hours or until firm.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are those Moomies Burger Buns? They have been in my "to try" file forever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Molli -

    For the most part they are - I do change some of the flour type and some of the sweetener type to suit what we like.

    ReplyDelete