Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Cookie report...

The cookies went over very well today - and as I suspected the chocolate filled ones were preferred over the jam ones. I did like the jam ones, but the chocolate really won me over.

I went to a couple stores late this afternoon looking for some cardamom pods since I didn't have any luck on Sunday. Finally found some after the third store!

I needed to find them for the recipe tonight - I could have used ground cardamom, but wanted the flavor punch you can get from the encased seeds. This is the dish where we used the saffron. A mix of basmatic rice, red lentils, and fresh orange juice mixed very will and really gave the meal a refreshing taste. Carrots lent a nice sweetness with chicken being added in for some protein and spinach for additional flavor/color. The serving size was pretty generous for a CL recipe.

Chicken and Basmati Rice Pilau with Saffron, Spinach, and Cardamom

10 comments:

  1. Ive made this one before. Is this from an article about ethnic chicken one pot meals? I think this was from afghan eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delish! I love anything with lentils.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so great at describing yout dishes, I can practically taste your dinner just from your description. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow !!! so delicious..yummmyyyy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking about making a biryani sometime - it always seems like such a lot of steps (caramelizing of the onions, etc) and I've never put aside a block of time just to get down to it. CL recipes tend to be a little quicker though - did it take long?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Randi - I think so, but I only have the recipe saved out from the magazine.

    Violet - Hope you get a chance to try the cake!

    Beth - Thanks! We are *slowly* getting used to lentils!

    Thank you Punky!

    Avik - thanks for coming!

    Dawna - It did take some time, between soaking the rice, cooking the lentils, then letting everything cook and steam together I had to set aside a couple hours I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any chance you could share the recipe? Just looking at it is making me drool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ruth - I will get the recipe posted for you this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  9. for sometimes hard to find spices, try Penzey's. They've got quite the selection

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep Jill - we go there quite often =) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete