Saturday, September 24, 2005

Week in Review

This last week was pretty busy in the kitchen! 11 new recipes and I think we enjoyed each one.

As usual, I made the saturday salads for dinner tonight but there is a couple things I did do different. The last couple times we were in San Francisco we ate at a place called Firewood Cafe in the Metreon and had a great salad there. The one thing that stood out for me is how they prepared their apples for the salad. I wrote them an e-mail and they let me know what they did.

Using granny smith apples they marinate them in lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, a dash of salt and a dash of sugar. I did the same tonight and it tasted just like it. Very fresh with a nice bite and I liked the added crunch in the salad.

Our DVD selection for tonight from Netflix is School of Rock with Jack Black. We ment to see this one in the theater, but never got around to making it there. Check back and see what we are doing this upcoming week - I suspect the kitchen will be very busy again!

8 comments:

  1. Interesting way to do apples...how long did you marinate them? Enjoy School of Rock...we thought it was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora from a blogger down under in New Zealand. I really enjoyed reading your blog. Have not try any of your recipes yet - might try the dog biscuit recipe and give them to the cats. I'll be back......

    ReplyDelete
  3. The salad looks good. Can't wait to see what is in store for next week! Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea for the apples. I am sure they were great. Way to go on all those new recipes last week. Can't wait to see what you come up with for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, i'm definitely using that method for preparing apples in salad! it sounds delicious and tangy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe you make so many new recipes in a week. Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for the comments!

    We marinated the apples for around 30-40 minutes. Basically we used just enough ice cold water to cover, then added half a lemon's worth of juice and A C Vinegar to taste. As long as the vinegar doesn't overwhelm the lemon it works out well.

    Beth - Thanks! I used to do a rotation of certain recipes but wanted to expand what we make. So far i'm having a great time! I do miss some of our favorites but we are making new ones!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm trying the apples as you described tonight--I usually add granny smiths to my salad, and this sounds like a great way to liven them up a bit! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete