Thursday, September 22, 2005

Uh oh... dogs have no biscuits!

***I think I fixed the issue with people viewing in the 800X600 display. If you are still having problems please let me know by sending me an email! Thank you!

I discovered yesterday that we were totally out of the peanut butter snaps that we made for the puppies before. I was going to make them again today, but decided I would try something different and made a more savory biscuit for the dogs. These get their flavor from cheddar cheese and garlic. They are much more thick that the previous treats, but still remain fairly crispy. Spike and Max really liked these! I played around with a Dachshund cookie cutter I found - the result is pretty neat. We don't currently have that kind of dog but will be our next one I think!
Garlic and Cheddar Dog Biscuits
For dinner tonight, I found this recipe some time ago and finally got around to trying it. The recipe caught my eye because of the way it is made - making frittata's and then cutting them into 1/4" ribbons and mixing with a tomato sauce. I guess it would almost be a replacement for pasta, but I'm not sure what they were going for. These came together so quick and with the pecorino topping gave these a nice peppery flavor. The texture was a bit different but overall it was a good dish!

Baked Frittata Ribbons in Tomato Sauce(CL)
Baked Frittata Ribbons in Tomato Sauce(CL)

Sauce:
Cooking spray
2 cups finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups chopped seeded peeled plum tomatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Frittata:
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 large eggs
4 large egg whites
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh pecorino Romano cheese

To prepare sauce, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, 2 tablespoons parsley, basil, and garlic; cook 7 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring frequently. Stir in the tomatoes and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Preheat broiler.

To prepare frittata, combine 1/4 cup parsley and next 4 ingredients (parsley through egg whites), stirring with a whisk until well blended. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; coat pan with cooking spray. Add half of egg mixture, and cook 2 minutes or until bottom is set. Carefully turn frittata over. Cook 1 minute. Place cooked frittata on a cutting board. Repeat procedure with remaining egg mixture.

Roll up cooked frittatas, jelly-roll fashion, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Combine sauce, frittata ribbons, and cheese in a medium bowl, tossing to coat. Divide the frittata mixture evenly among 6 (6-ounce) ramekins or custard cups. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts and mixture is thoroughly heated.

Serves 6.

Garlic and Cheddar Dog Biscuits

3 cups whole wheat flour
2 Teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, or whatever you have on hand
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup skim milk

Preheat oven to 400

Combine flour and garlic powder in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and add remaining ingredients graduallly, stirring until well blended.

Knead dough on a floured surface 3-4 minutes.

Roll dough to 1/4 inch thick and cut into your favorite shapes. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake 15-18 minutes until golden brown.

Cool on wire rack and let the doggies enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. Biscuits look great - need to make some more of ours as well. Don't forget WDB #2 this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weeeeiiiiinnnerrrrssss( I have Two dachshunds and thats what I call them). I love that cookie cutter. Have you made the fleas navidad muffins. My boys loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making doggie biscuits...thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good post! Just timely. I need to return a friend's tray and wanted to make dog biscuits for her "boys." but somehow didn't even search for a recipe. I guess I was waiting for it to fall in my hands, and it did. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No dogs here to bake for, but the baked frittata sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I've gotta try to make these dog biscuits! Cute dogs in the background!

    Paz

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I never thought about making biscuits for my "girls". I might do that this weekend! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joe,

    Your next dog should definitely be a dachshund! They have so much personality.

    I think my miniature dachshund Zoey will love your biscuits. But it feels a bit wrong to give her dachshund shaped treats (doggy-cannibalism?) so I think I'll use a different shape.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweetnicks - Thanks. I'll see if the pups feel photogenic!

    Randi - So jealous you have two!

    Stephanie - Yeah me too, I rarely buy any now.

    Fethiye - Glad you were able to find them on the site!

    Ruth - Thanks!

    Paz - I agree! I just wish we had one in real life. The pictures will do for now though - hee hee!

    Michelle - Hope your's turn out well if you get a chance to make some!

    Ed - Thanks for the chuckle. Might I add your pup is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW ! Gino would love the biscuits ! I hope to see your doggie in WDB tomorrow ! BTW we had a dackel (dachshund) before Gino, a real personality,you cannot think of any better watchdog ;-) Best, angelika

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joe! You mean you don't have any dogs!? That is hysterical! Well, a photo is not a bad idea. At least, you don't have to worry about walking the photos. ;-)

    Paz

    ReplyDelete