Thursday, September 01, 2005

New twist on Doughnuts

We will start off with dinner. Tonight was kind of a mis-match of appetizer recipes that i've had set aside for the longest time. I like to try them out before we use them for entertaining so we know what to expect.

So we just had these for dinner. The first recipe was Crispy Butternut Wontons with Spicy Tomato Sauce(CL). The only thing I didn't like about this was taking the time to fill each wonton wrapper. To help ease with the actual prep-time I baked off the butternut early in the morning to get that out of the way. The crunchy outside with the soft creamy inside really go well. The tomato sauce is a little different as it includes a strip of orange peel along with other herbs. The flavors meld well and I think you can do most of the prep work ahead of time so this is a winner.

Roasted Chile-Spiced Edamame(CL) was the second recipe. This was nice and easy as you just mix the spices with the edamame and roast for an hour or so. The chile spice mix has just the right kick to make these very addicting. The edamame are about half the size from how they started, but get pretty crunchy. Below both recipes are shown together.

The new twist on doughnuts is... Cookies! Doughnut Cookies(KACC) are fun bite sized cookies that were a little labor intensive but so worth it! The cookie itself reminds me of a cross between a thick butter cookie and a sugar cookie. It is dense but not overly dry. I enjoyed playing with the decorations and lots of ideas came forth to use for future holidays. I imagine these would ship well so they might make the christmas cookie list!


12 comments:

  1. I love those cookies! Any chance you can share the recipe or point me in the direction of it? They're gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Words can not express how much I love those cookies. I second the recipe request!
    Those butternut wontons look great, as well, Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all three of your dishes! I third the recipe request! Great post, Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cookies are soooo cute Jo! well done :)

    Have you seen the wonton presses you can get? You put the wrapper in then the filling and then you close it. it has ruffled edges. I don't have one but have been thinking of getting one....

    ReplyDelete
  5. the cookies are adorable, Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also adore the cookies!! And the butternut wontons look awesome as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice wonton appetizer, they look great!
    And... I will have to be one more to ask for the cookies recipe! They are sooo cute, it would be a great cookie to take to my son's preschool when they have little parties, I bet kids woudl love then! Would you pleeeease share the recipes with us Joe?!
    Thanks!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  8. can you also post the edamame recipe? I remember you made a edamame succatosh in the past, I think...do you have that on your blog somewhere bc I want to try these little peas/beans...

    ReplyDelete
  9. The won tons look delicious. I wish there were a faster way to fill them, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those cookies are a work of art! Good job!
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those cookies are so cute :) You did a great job decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for all the wonderful replies! These were such fun cookies to make! I got the recipe posted yesterday!

    Lex - I will get the edamame recipe posted today!

    ReplyDelete