Monday, September 05, 2005

Have a sweet tooth?

Then this puts it to the test! This tasty dense cake has a surprise ingredient - zucchini! Caramel Frosted Chocolate Chip Zucchini Sheet Cake(BBCL Val) has the familiar taste of a chocolate chip cookie, but in cake form with this wicked fudge-like frosting. The zucchini adds moistness but you would never know it was there. The frosting does set up very fast and needs to be spread on quickly, otherwise it could get messy.


Since I had leftover wonton wrappers from last week, I found a recipe that used almost all of the ones we had left. Unfortunetly for me it meant filling, egg washing, and pinching another 20 of them. This is a before shot.

Wonton Soup(CL) was easy enough, after filling the wontons of course. These are filled with a mixture of spinach, cooked chicken, toasted sesame oil, ginger, garlic and soy sauce. After watching the little pouches float up we portioned them off and I finished working on the side dish. Wheat Berry Salad with Orange Vinaigrette(CL). Nice tang from the orange since the wheat berries have a pretty neutral flavor. I did sub dried cranberries for the currants as we didn't have any and were out of raisins.

11 comments:

  1. I also made this today! It is soooo good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy. Both recipes are from May 2004.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I have to admit, that cake did not sound good at all. The visual suggests otherwise!! Thanks for the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks wonderful. I'm particularly taken by the won ton soup. I'll have to check and see if I have a copy of CL May, 2004. I tried to get it on line, but you have to be a subscriber.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caramel Frosted Chocolate Chip Zucchini Sheet Cake! Woof! It sure looks good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joe, I just spent 40 minutes going through old magazines looking for (what turns out to be Jan, 2003)for the wonton soup recipe with no luck. I even found a couple from 1996!!!. Is there a chance you could share the recipe on your site or email me? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the comments! Ruth - I posted the recipe, you can find it below the pictures.

    Thanks for visiting the site!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, so you're one of those sneaky people who hide (yucky) zucchini in baked goods!!???
    I'd become so irritated with my relatives when they did that...

    I love wontons. But I agree; filling and sealing and folding...enough already!
    And when I do them, I usually end up making all fifty in the pack!

    By the time I'm finished, I no longer feel like eating...

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow. It all looks great. I love all types of Asian soups. I may have to give this wonton soup a try. As always, I finished reading your post and found myself drooling. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos. That wonton soup looks so good. What an interesting bowl. And I love the single wonton "before" shot. You sure do eat well out there in the desert! (And seem to have lots of fun doing it, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stephanie - Shh.. I don't hide anything! Umm... yeah! =)

    Thanks Punky!

    The soup was excellent Farmgirl - We do try to cook well out here. It doesnt always happen though, but that's where the fun comes in hee hee!

    ReplyDelete