Friday, March 17, 2006

One pot meal...

A lot of the recipes we do end up using quite a few pots and pans, making for lots of clean up afterwards. I love making dinners that use one pot or pan to cook everything in order to help speed things along.

Tonight's dish, Skillet Paella, filled our 10" pan to the brim by the time it was done cooking. There was no concern that it was going to bubble over, but this recipe makes quite a lot! Basmati rice is the bulk of the dish, accompanied by lots of juicy chicken bites, spinach, corn, roasted red bell peppers and shrimp. Saffron threads lend a rich color and impart a subtle earthy background to the liquid the rice soaks up. Dinner was served in just under 30 minutes which makes it a great weeknight dish without a ton of clean up. I portioned this out into 4 servings, but this could easily be stretched to 6 or so as four was very filling on its own.

5 comments:

  1. Looks delicious but I think there is no spice in it. How would the food taste if you had put more spice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum, that looks great and really simple! i'm bookmarking this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Razib - We both found it had enough flavor from the roasted peppers and other ingredients, i'm not sure what other spices I would add to it! Let me know if you think of anything or try it!

    Kickpleat - Thanks! We had the leftovers for lunch and it was just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The paella looks very good. I really like saffron and I have a friend who brings it to me from Iran, so I'm always looking for recipes to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kalyn - Thanks! I'm eating the leftovers for lunch toda - Very happy with the reheated results!

    ReplyDelete