Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Join me for a rain dance?

Well, we still have had no rain since the last post when we surpassed the old record. This makes the total of 135 days without anything - we actually got a couple sprinkles (I saw maybe 3...) yesterday though - nothing measureable. I hope that we get something soon as there is a cloud of junk in the air. They have been talking about how bad they expect the fire season to be this year too.

I mentioned that this week would have some comfort food dishes and the meal tonight fits right in. Potluck Potato Casserole has a bit of a tang to it and is quite cheesy. This creamy dish with a crunchy top coat of corn flakes was like a blast from the past and a big hug in the form of food. I might add a little more cayenne next time to give it just a bit more bite. This recipe was meant to be a side dish, but I found it filling enough to stand on it's own with a bit bigger portion size. You can assemble everything ahead of time and leave in the refrigerator until you need to bake it. Just save the topping until right before you place it in the oven.


8 comments:

  1. "a big hug in the form of food"... what a descriptive way to describe a dish like this. Can't wait to try it.

    Oh, and I'd be *delighted* to send some of our rain your direction... :)

    Cheers!
    D-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard a rumor somewhere...

    Happy Birthday Joe! Hope it's a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I heard the rumor too...
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOE!!!!
    Wishing you all the best on your special day!!!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delicious and comforting. I agree with "Curious" - love how you described it as a hug in the form of food!

    I hope your poor tongue is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so yummy! I will try to pass on some of this SW Washington rain to you. I'm ready for Spring...oh yeah...that means more rain!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Culinarily curious - Please send some! I'll be waiting!

    Erika - Aww thank you!

    Ana - Thanks for the well wishes!

    Teresa - It is a bit better today, thanks!

    Cameradawktor - We could definitely use anything you can push down south!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in on the rain dance. It sure smelled like it had rained the next morning, but not a drop to be found here.

    Happy Birthday, if the rumors are correct! Hope you had a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I missed your birthday. Darn. Happy belated. Great-looking dish--I make one with almost the same ingredients, but for some reason yours just looks better. I think it's the photography. What kind of camera do you use? I use a Canon A70 PowerShot, and while my pics have gotten better, they still don't look as nice as yours. Tips?

    ReplyDelete