Saturday, July 02, 2005

Peppermint Kisses

Peppermint Kisses

3 egg whites
1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar (depending on how sweet you like yours)
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract

Preheat the oven to 175

Place a small pan of water on the stove and heat till simmering. Place egg whites in a mixing bowl and pour in the sugar. Move the mixing bowl over to the simmering water, but make sure the bottom does not touch the water. Gently stir the sugar and egg whites together for 2 minutes until the eggs warm up.

Using the whisk attachment, mix on high speed until you have firm peaks. Gently mix in peppermint extract until combined. Place a pastry bag fitted with a star tip into a large drinking glass and fold back the sides. Spoon the meringue into the bag and pull up the sides. Pipe onto 2 parchment lined baking sheets and place in the oven. Bake until the meringues are crisp, but have no color on them. This takes about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours depending on the size. Turn the oven off and leave the door ajar to let them cool completely.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Joe,
    I've been quietly reading your blog for a while now and have been enjoying all your recipes. But seeing your peppermint kisses today, I just had to drop you a note. They are sooooo perfectly shaped! My goodness! Each ridge is like sooo sharp! Great job!

    I'm now tempted to try making my own kisses. Have never made them before. Just to check: the temperature should be 375? And not 275? I'm guessing, but 375 seems a little high for 2 1/2 hours of baking. Just wanted to check before I head off into the kitchen.

    Keep up the great job with the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clare,

    Thank you for catching that error! This one slipped by me - the correct temperature is 175 and I have made the chage in the recipe - at 375 they would be... a little more than well done!

    Thank you for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful!

    I blogged about it today. Hope you don't mind...


    j

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to be so dense, but how did you get the sprinkles and dragées to stick?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe

    Just found your site and I love it. Your Peppermint Kisses are beautiful. Have I missed the response to "I'm sorry to be so dense, but how did you get the sprinkles and dragées to stick?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello!

    I thought I had posted a comment on this, but maybe it was in e-mail? I used a thin coating of brown rice syrup that I painted on with a small brush!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, so now I am dense. What is brown rice syrup? Never heard of it and I have been baking for a long time.

    Ooma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooma - Brown rice syrup is a liquid sweetener made from brown rice that is just about half as sweet as sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joe I am planing to make the pepperment kisses tomorrow but i really need to know about how many it makes
    ~Hayley

    ReplyDelete
  10. how many does this make?
    ~Hayley

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hayley - It depends on how big you make them. If they are on the small size, like these were, expect several dozen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Joe,

    I was wondering if you just painted on green food coloring after the kisses were baked and cooled?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lauren - No, to make the stripes, we painted lines of gel food coloring inside the bag before we placed the meringue in.

    ReplyDelete