Monday, July 18, 2005

So what's this polenta stuff about...

Okay, so I confess - we have had polenta before but it has always been in the premade "tubes". So when I found a recipe that actually has you make it I figured it's about time we do it ourself. Of course it calls for instant polenta and I couldnt find it anywhere here. We settled on what was labeled "yellow corn grits AKA polenta" from Bob's red mill. It was very interesting as it turned thick quicker than I expected. I started to second guess myself if I put in enough liquid but, determined that I did I let it go and it turned out well! Bye bye tubes!

Tonights dinner was Sautéed Chicken Breasts with Balsamic Vinegar Pan Sauce served over Two-Cheese polenta.

The chicken was very moist and the outside was nice and crisp. We used the combo of butter/oil and the flavor really came through.

For dessert tonight I really wanted something that was refreshing and had a clean taste while still being light. I made Butter Crunch Lemon-Cheese Bars(CL). It is kind of like a lemon bar/cheesecake type filling over a crunchy brown sugar crust.



5 comments:

  1. Polenta and I have yet to become friends. We stand in opposite corners and glare at each other.

    Last time I made polenta (the real thing), my 'dome' turned out like a big slab...grr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joe - I can't use your email link - issue with aol and my computer... I would love this lemon bar recipe and the cookie recipe from last week (with white chocolate chips, maybe?) Thanks!

    See you on the KAF Baker's Circle - love the blog!

    Beth
    bmwatl@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recipes sent Beth!

    Sorry to hear about your polenta issues Stephanie! Keep trying though because its well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe, I'm trying to find the lemon crunch bar recipe and the balsamic chicken breasts with polenta from July 2005. Can you help me out?

    Thanks.
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vicky - Those were during the first month we did the blog and we were not posting recipes yet. Here are links to the recipes from the original sources.

    Lemon-Cheese Bars

    Chicken

    Polenta

    ReplyDelete