Friday, July 01, 2005

Polenta Spinach Pie

Polenta Spinach Pie

2 cups water
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cornmeal
10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove excess water
2 cups of your favorite marinara sauce
3 ounces freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375

Coat a 9" pie dish with cooking spray.

In a medium sauce pan, heat water to boiling and add salt. Gradually stir in polenta and cook, stirring frequently, 5-7 minutes or until thickened. Spread in pie plate. Let cool to firm up for 15 minutes.

Spoon spinach evenly over polenta. Spread sauce over spinach and sprinkle with cheese. Bake about 15 minutes or until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.

7 comments:

  1. I've been dying to try polenta and this sounds like the perfect way to do it.. thanks, Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lis! Polenta is easier than it seems! Let me know if you give it a shot or have any questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this last night. Definitely easy to put together, but I did have to wilt my own spinach as that was all I had. Polenta came together pretty well, but I think it was a little too watery...maybe I should have put it in the fridge to chill and set? Or maybe my marinara sauce was too water (I used WF 365 roasted garlic, taste is out of this world!) My pieces certainly did not look as good as yours did, more of a blob than anything. It's still good, and I'll try it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin - Did you squeeze any water out of the fresh wilted spinach? That would be my guess if it was watery - I'm not sure otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks lovely. I'm learning to adapt recipes for dehydrating to take backpacking, and this could work: take cornmeal and Parmesan (keeps unrefrigerated), and dehydrated spinach. Looks very workable and fits my wheat-free diet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops, forgot the marinara sauce.... that can be dehydrated and reconstituted too. I'm gonna try all this and if it works you can bet I'll be taking it on the Trail!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ellie - Cool idea! I'd love to hear how it works out for you!

    ReplyDelete