Friday, July 01, 2005

Pumpkin Canine Cookies

Pumpkin Canine Cookies

2 cups oats
1/2 cup butter
2 cups boiling water
5-6 cups whole wheat flour, divided
1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup non fat milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup mashed pumpkin

Preheat the oven to 350

Lightly coat cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray.

Mix the oats, pumpkin, and butter in a large bowl. Carefully pour in the boiling water.
Stir in 2 cups flour and remaining ingredients.

With a wooden spoon, mix until it forms into a big ball, adding flour as needed to make a stiff dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface, adding flour as needed, until the dough taken on a rollable consistency. In total I used about 5 1/2 cups flour.

Roll out the dough to 3/8 inch thickness. Cut out cookie shapes using your favorite cutters. Place them on the cookie sheets and bake for 25-35 minutes, or until the bottoms are golden brown. Cool completely.

6 comments:

  1. Can I use canned pumpkin?

    Paz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure Paz! I just had mashed on hand already in the freezer! Just make sure it is not the spiced kind - just plain pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joe! How many did you end up getting? Do they keep for awhile? Should I freeze them or just store them. I only have 1 dog (albeit an 80 pound one who would happily eat all of these :)).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chelle D!

    It will depend on what size cutter you use for your yield - I used different sizes but didn't count the biscuits. There was a ton though (at least 50 I think)

    I store about 1/4 of them in the fridge for the pups and the rest in the freezer. I rotate when the ones in the fridge get low.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi joe. my dog loves these so much she is staring daggers as i only gave her one. she is sitting under the table sniffing away:) I hope it is ok I blogged about it. I did mention your site with a link. If you would rather I not use your recipe let me know and I will remove it. Thanks for another amazing recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Organic - Thanks for giving the recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete