Sunday, July 31, 2005
The ingredient amounts are correct so be careful when measuring. This makes 6 large cookies.
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbs + 1 tsp cocoa powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tbs unsalted room temperature butter
2 1/2 tsp well-beaten egg or egg substitute
1 Tbs unsalted room temperature butter
1 Tbs solid vegetable shortening
1/2 tsp milk
1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
Pinch of Salt
1/2 cup Confectioners' sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375. Line baking sheet with parchment paper
2. Place flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl - whisk together.
3. Place 1/4 cup + 2 tsp sugar, butter, and the egg in a medium bowl and beat with a hand mixer on low speed until blended. Increase speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy. Add flour mixture to the egg mixture and beat just until the dough is blended, 15 to 20 seconds.
4. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of the dough in your hands to form 12 equal balls, and place on the prepared baking sheet. Space them 2" apart. Pour about 1/2 cup sugar into a small bowl. Dip the bottom of a drinking glass into the sugar, and press the glass onto a ball of dough to flatten. Repeat with the remaining dough, dipping the glass into the sugar each time. Bake till firm - 14 to 15 mins.
5. Remove the sheet from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
6. Spread 1 1/2 tsps of the filling over the flat side of half the cookies. Place the remaining cookies on top, flat side down, gently pressing down on them to squeeze the filling out.
Place butter, shortening, milk, vanilla and salt in a small bowl and mix with a fork until smooth. Add the confectioners sugar and mix until well blended and smooth. This may take a couple minutes. Cover the bowl and set aside at room temperature until ready to use.
For the mocha version use 1/4 tsp instant espresso during step 3 of the cookie. For the filling dissolved a pinch of the espresso into the milk.